The functions, aims and goals of the Florida Society of Rheumatology shall be to:
- This Society shall represent the physicians practicing Rheumatology in the state of Florida, and will fulfill the role of the professional society for rheumatologists in Florida.
- The Society is committed to furthering the goals of the American College of Rheumatology.
- Provide education for the practicing rheumatologist, the practicing physician in other specialties, paramedical personnel, the patients themselves and the community.
- Take an active interest in the economic side of medicine since how well the patient can afford the care and treatment he/she needs for his/her chronic disease depends, in most instances, upon how well educated third party payors are to the fact that there are various treatments for these conditions now and to the fact that considerable time and effort is involved.
- Represent the specialty of Rheumatology in negotiations with governmental and private third party payors.
- Facilitate the recognition of the role of the rheumatologist as the provider of choice for patients with arthritis, chronic pain, osteoporosis, and musculoskeletal disease.